A look through my prior years posts (2010, 2011, and 2012), my brewing took an upturn in 2013 to debunk the trending decline (cheer!). My homebrewing calendar continues to be sporadic, but the output was certainly stronger with 10 beers (and one cider) passing through the system.
In a manner similar to my prior year posts, here are my 2013 numbers:
- Number of Batched Made: 11 (10 beers, 1 cider)
- Number of Gallons Made: 59 gal.
- Most Popular Beer Style: American Pale Ale (n=2)
- First Brew Day of the Year: Feb 17, 2013 (Scottish 60/-)
- Last Brew Day of the Year: Nov 24, 2013 (American IPA)
- Homebrew Comp Results: Eisbock - Silver Medal, Ocean State Homebrew Competition; Traditional Mead - Gold Medal, Ocean State Homebrew Competition.
- Number of Lug Wrench Collaborative Beers Brewed: 2 (RIS & mini-RIS)
- Average ABV Across Batches: 5.79%
- Highest ABV: 11.3% (Russian Imperial Stout)
- Lowest ABV: 3.3% (Session Pale Ale)
- Favorite Brew of the Year: Cait the Grate, RIS - because it was latest in the long line of collaborative beer's Tom and I have been able to brew together.
- Least Favorite Brew: Smoked Porter - the beer just didn't attenuate, leaving me with 5 gallons of sweet, smoky porter. However, making lemons into lemonade, I kept the keg and used it in cooking as part of a beer brine for chicken, which has been outstanding.
- Most Popular Yeast Used: US-05 (5 packets) - mostly for the convenience
- Approximate Amount of Grain Used in 2013: 120.45 lbs
- Most Popular Base Malt: US 2-Row Malt (78.25 lbs)
- Most Popular Specialty Malt: Cherry Smoke Malt (3 lbs)
- Approximate Amount of Hops Used in 2013: 26.8 oz (1.68 lbs)
- Most Popular Hop: Newport (7.4 oz) - its been my go-to bittering hop ever since I picked up a 1 lbs bag last year.
"I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me."